Book Tickets Online
Built for Malcolm Hamilton and completed in 1618, it has a Scottish look about it, with corner turrets at one narrow end of a rectangular four-storey building and with two massive full-height round towers having angular tops guarding the entrance at the other end.
This imposing structure stood in one corner of a walled bawn with rounded corner towers, one of which subsequently served as a dovecote. The castle fell briefly into Irish hands in 1641, and was held by Gustavus Hamilton, governor of Enniskillen in 1688. It appears to have been burned in the 18th century and was abandoned.
The Monument and surrounding lands are privately owned and operate as a working farm with livestock present and as such dogs are not allowed at Monea Castle for Health and Safety reasons. Access to the land is provided solely for the purpose of visiting the Castle. Please note farming requirements may on occasion result in varied opening and closing times than those advertised.
Any event, activity or filming at Monea Castle must be granted a licence from the Department. Further information can be found at Hiring a State Care Monument | Department for Communities (communities-ni.gov.uk).
- Open Mondays
- Open Sundays
Parking & Transport
- On site parking
- Free (parking charges may apply)